[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | Bootstrap fails (#514)

Development of GNU's TLS library gnutls-devel at lists.gnutls.org
Fri Dec 28 16:43:41 CET 2018

Sébastien Blin @AmarOk1412 commented 1 hour ago
> I think the problem is still here.
>
> I am currently trying to bump gnutls (3.6.2->3.6.5), and it's currently failing due to gtk-doc with:
>
> autoreconf: running: automake --add-missing --copy --force-missing
> configure.ac:39: installing 'build-aux/compile'
> configure.ac:29: installing 'build-aux/missing'
> doc/Makefile.am: installing 'build-aux/depcomp'
> gtk-doc.make:78: error: GTK_DOC_BUILD_HTML does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
[...]
> autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1
>
> The thing is, I don't want gtk-doc. In the past I used --disable-gtk-doc (still here), but it's the step after the reconf (with ./configure --disable-gtk-doc --disable-doc).
>
> Re-downgrading to a previous version works.

That is a completely different issue than the issue-report you are posting in.

issue 514 is along the lines of "I installed everything listed for a developer build in README.md and still could not build."

You, otoh want to make a "semi-developer build", run autoreconf but without full development toolkit. Afaict this probably broke with 535ba543e78338192ce40b501e1283130550a704 which switched from AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR to AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR*S*. And gtkdocize has this comment:
```
# If the AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR() macro is used, copy gtk-doc.m4 from our
# prefix to that directory.  This makes sure that the M4 macro used
# matches the the automake fragment.
# If AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR is not used, the macro won't be copied, and
# the correct flags must be passed to aclocal for it to find the macro.