[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | Importing ED25519 in pubkey (#613)

Development of GNU's TLS library gnutls-devel at lists.gnutls.org
Tue Nov 13 15:51:40 CET 2018

During the standartization process of RFC8463, this message discussed ED25519 signing of hashes, rather than the whole message data https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dcrup/current/msg00501.html, citing from the GnuTLS manual “Note that, not all algorithm support signing already hashed data. When signing with Ed25519, gnutls_privkey_sign_data() should be used.”

The answer https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dcrup/current/msg00502.html contains: “if the spec says there's a pure version that doesn't hash its input, the libraries would implement it”.

Now the common aim is, that libraries implement what specifications say.  I am not in a position to lead a fact based discussion on Ed25519 signing hashes, as I am not that competent in cryptography.  Neither is it feasible to make postings to a mailing list, then (filter and) copy the answers here, and then back to the mailing list.