[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | Valid cert fails to verify due to different DN encodings (#553)

Development of GNU's TLS library gnutls-devel at lists.gnutls.org
Tue Sep 11 12:25:08 CEST 2018

> Which implementation created that certificate?

It was created by the Bouncy Castle java library. Specifically the JRuby
OpenSSL library (which in plain Ruby is a pretty thin OpenSSL API layer
but is heavier in JRuby since the Bouncy Castle x509/SSL stuff doesn't
have an OpenSSL compatible API).

> Have you reported that issue to them?
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5280#section-7.1

No, the cert looked correct to me. Even after reading section 7.1 that
you linked, I don't see how it is incorrect. It specifically says
UTF8String and PrintableString are both required to be supported. Can
you give me more detail about how it violates the comparison rules?