[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | gnutls-cli starttls connection to XMPP fails with 'error receiving <proceed' (#697)

Development of GNU's TLS library gnutls-devel at lists.gnutls.org
Wed Feb 6 11:42:13 CET 2019

Short explanation:

--starttls-proto works line(feed) oriented when waiting for expected input. But XMPP is XML and thus we can't rely on the server sending linefeed at all.

The reason why it sometimes failed is message fragmentation / merging (in kernel or network layer). The first reply sometimes comes in as two packets - in this case we see a failure.