[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | Remove checks for ssize_t in configure.ac (#688)

Development of GNU's TLS library gnutls-devel at lists.gnutls.org
Thu Jan 31 10:34:52 CET 2019

New Issue was created.

Issue 688: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/issues/688
Author:    Tim Rühsen
Assignee:

size_t and ssize_t are POSIX (https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009696799/basedefs/sys/types.h.html).

So I wonder if we need the checks in configure.ac and the code in gnutls.h.in.

Is it really the responsibility of `gnutls.h` to define `size_t` ? If you have a software project that includes headers like `gnutls.h` you should define `size_t` by yourself and *have it consistent everywhere in your system*.

What we could use (if needed at all) is AC_TYPE_SIZE_T and AC_TYPE_SSIZE_T to make sure we have both types. This moves the responsibility of defining proper types away from GnuTLS itself. It's a question where we draw the line.