[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | crypto: add API to retrieve the final IV for CFB ciphers (!988)

Development of GNU's TLS library gnutls-devel at lists.gnutls.org
Thu May 2 16:35:17 CEST 2019

Hi Nikos,

> In that case, do we need it to be included to gnutls? Can't we include it in
> the acvp driver? @smuellerDD?

The code for getting the IV can surely be added to the ACVP driver. But how do
you propose that should work? We started the discussion on adding the IV
gathering function to GnuTLS because the IV is held so deep inside the cipher
handle data structure that a calling application would have hard time to find
the right location in the cipher handle.

What about the following: let us have the gnutls_cipher_get_iv function inside
the GnuTLS code that is NOT an exported API. Yet, the function is not marked
as static or otherwise private. This would allow a wrapping application to
still call it.

Ciao
Stephan