[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | WIP: Add src/psk2.c using new src/options.c [skip ci] (!1012)

Development of GNU's TLS library gnutls-devel at lists.gnutls.org
Wed May 29 17:16:20 CEST 2019

> If I understand the approach is to bring libopts functionality into the tools, and use the internal structures to auto-generate part of the documentation based on output provided by the tool itself. Is that correct?

That's correct.

So far I don't see any burden. The psk2 implementation is just a test balloon. `gengetopts` is far less elegant, also needs config files with a certain syntax that nobody can keep in mind. The only 'config file' now is a markdown template (src/psk2tool.md.in). Markdown is so easy to read/write and meanwhile so widespread that it is the format of choice. The option docs come directly from the C file (src/psk2.c), where it belongs - a developer can add / change stuff directly near the implementation without fighting with a just-half-understood config file format (autogen or gengetopts).

BTW I couldn't build gengetopts from git on Solaris OpenCSW platform, so it is more of a burden for libidn2 instead of a helper. *If* I put work in libidn2, removing getgetopts is on top of the list.