[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | gnutls-serv and gnutls-client fail with "Detected downgrade to TLS 1.2 from TLS 1.3" (#837)

Development of GNU's TLS library gnutls-devel at lists.gnutls.org
Mon Sep 23 17:19:57 CEST 2019

Richard Frith-Macdonald commented:

I would class it as a configuration error,  but one that people in my company referred to me as a GNUTLS bug, because they had successfully used our client software to connect to external openssl based servers, but had found that the same client software (configured the same way) had failed to establish a connection to our internal (gnutls based) servers.
So the real issue is not that there is a use case (we don't specifically want to configure 1.2 before 1.3 in the client), but that if it's done accidentally the connection attempt fails and it's not obvious why.