[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | fips: Improve signatures self-tests (!1073)

Development of GNU's TLS library gnutls-devel at lists.gnutls.org
Thu Sep 26 14:54:46 CEST 2019

Merge request https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/merge_requests/1073 was reviewed by Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos

--

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos started a new discussion on lib/crypto-selftests-pk.c: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/merge_requests/1073#note_222543001

>  	}
>
> +	/* Compare with a stored known signature */

What is the difference of this with `PK_KNOWN_TEST(GNUTLS_PK_RSA, ...)`?

--

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos started a new discussion on lib/crypto-selftests-pk.c: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/merge_requests/1073#note_222543004

> -	/* Test if the signature we generate matches the stored */
> +	ret = gnutls_privkey_sign_data(key, dig, 0, &signed_data, &sig);

I see two tests in that file:
 - `PK_KNOWN_TEST` which tests the deterministic sigs with comparison
 - `PK_TEST` for other cases

It is not clear to me what is the purpose here. This patch seems to be making PK_KNOWN_TEST behave like PK_TEST?

--

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos started a new discussion on lib/crypto-selftests-pk.c: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/merge_requests/1073#note_222543008

>  			return 0;
>
> +		PK_TEST(GNUTLS_PK_DSA, test_sig, 3072, GNUTLS_SIGN_DSA_SHA256);

Why do we do that? Why not keep a consistent behavior in the number of tests we run? Is it to make FIPS mode startup faster? I think this may be hard to follow due to hidden context.