[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | gnutls_handshake is slow on some Android devices (Android 9) (#902)

Development of GNU's TLS library gnutls-devel at lists.gnutls.org
Tue Jan 7 21:14:42 CET 2020

Sébastien Blin created an issue: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/issues/902

Hi.

I am a Jami dev and we use GnuTLS since a long time, so first, thank you so much for the lib. During the last 3 days I was debugging an issue we have since some days on some Android devices (mostly Android 9 devices, tested with a One Plus 5)

In fact, this bug revealed another bug we have since a long time ago, introduced by: https://git.jami.net/savoirfairelinux/ring-daemon/commit/0b2db06aaf1ce4f53d2e0ca6fff7736b916ed571 "contrib: update gnutls to 3.6.10"

With this patch, and for now, only on Android 9 (I also tried with 7 and 10, seems not reproductible). I didn't have the feedback for now for iOS. I didn't reproduce on windows, mac os nor GNU/Linux.

However, between gnutls 3.6.7 and gnutls 3.6.8 I observer, on the Android 9 device a big delay during the gnutls_handshake. Indeed, creating a SIP call take about 2 sec when built with gnutls 3.6.7, and 5 seconds with gnutls 3.6.8.

So I am wondering:

Did gnutls_handshake get a major modification between 3.6.8 and 3.6.7?
Do you know what can causes this regression?
If I can do anything to help you more?
If anybody else has a similar problem.

All versions since 3.6.8 seems impacted. 3.6.7 is not.

Have a nice day,