[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | RFC: ephemeral-api: add a mechanism to define ephemeral API (!1199)

Development of GNU's TLS library gnutls-devel at lists.gnutls.org
Sun Mar 15 09:48:16 CET 2020

Daiki Ueno commented on a discussion: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/merge_requests/1199#note_305086468

Although I share your concern (as I see `P11_KIT_FUTURE_UNSTABLE_API` defined almost everywhere), I don't think it would cause further problems if we provide a proper deprecation mechanism for old functions:
- if we remove an API (the macro definition in the header), the application wouldn't compile; so they will notice the API is not available and maybe deprecated
- if we remove an underlying implementation, the application _can_ get a dedicated error code upon lookup (not implemented yet); so the user could notice that the application is using an unavailable/deprecated API in a safe manner

If we add a new API, we can always choose a new name, so not to break the existing convention; it would probably be sensible that the initial function name is chosen to be obscure, so it doesn't clash with the final function name