[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | WIP Insertion usdt trace points for crypto auditing (!1340)

Sun Oct 4 09:55:40 CEST 2020

Daiki Ueno commented on a discussion: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/merge_requests/1340#note_423164138

@simo5 I don't get what you are asking for (i.e., code example for what). If you are looking for the code that "uses" those traces, then there shouldn't be any difference: you can use your favorite tracing tool that supports USDT e.g. systemtap. The GNOME documentation for that is:
> GLib ships with a file libglib-2.0.so.*.stp which defines a set of probe points, which you can hook into with custom SystemTap scripts. See the files libglib-2.0.so.*.stp, libgobject-2.0.so.*.stp and libgio-2.0.so.*.stp which are in your shared SystemTap scripts directory.

If you are looking for the code that "defines" those "traces" everything is linked from the above NSS comment.

In short, pre-processing `.d` files (rather than post-processing the resulting ELF binary with Perl... script) allows the USDT to be defined in a declarative way (and thus prevents misuses) and serves documentation.

The same pattern is also used in sssd, which you must be familiar with:
https://github.com/SSSD/sssd/blob/master/src/systemtap/sssd_probes.d