[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | certtool: unable to decrypt PKCS#8 object in batch mode (#1262)

Thu Aug 5 02:13:53 CEST 2021

Daniel Kahn Gillmor created an issue: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/issues/1262

[bob.p12.bag3.key](/uploads/ba1edd13ff5b401604b7a82a6dd001a9/bob.p12.bag3.key) is a PEM-encoded PKCS#8 encrypted private key object, protected with a three character ascii password `bob`.

```
certtool --key-info --password bob < bob.p12.bag3.key
```

produces another PKCS#8 encrypted private key object to stdout.

but interactively:

```
certtool --key-info < bob.p12.bag3.key
```

prompts me for a password.  when i supply the password at the prompt, the output is an *unencrypted* private key, with the usual full `--key-info` details.

I'd like to be able to do that conversion in automated mode, rather than needing to enter the password at the terminal.