[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | INSTALL.md: Update documentation on building static library (!1462)

Wed Aug 25 21:39:02 CEST 2021

Nick Child created a merge request: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/merge_requests/1462

Project:Branches: nick-child-ibm/gnutls:build_docs to gnutls/gnutls:master
Author:   Nick Child

Hello all,
First off, please forgive me if I am doing this wrong, this is my first attempt at using Gitlab, I am used to using Github for source management and I could not find a mailing list for questions.
Anyways, I was following along with the `INSTALL.md` to build an archive file but I believe the INSTALL documentation is a bit outdated. It seems that the static archive is only buildable with the flag `--enable-static`. The current documentation says that the default behavior is to build both static and shared libraries. After reading the NEWS file and checking out [this](https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/commit/a88eb79d88c53531c49d7cedfce2207f36ac8a9d) commit, it seems the default build process has changed.

I noticed a similar documentation for building and installing Nettle but did not change it since it seems that those instructions are still true: Nettle will still build both static and shared files by default.

Since this is just a documentation issue, I don't think there is much else to be done other than fixing the build instructions but please let me know if there is anything more I can do.

Thanks,
Nick

## Checklist
 * [x] Commits have `Signed-off-by:` with name/author being identical to the commit author
 * [ ] Code modified for feature
 * [ ] Test suite updated with functionality tests
 * [ ] Test suite updated with negative tests
 * [ ] Documentation updated / NEWS entry present (for non-trivial changes)
 * [ ] CI timeout is 2h or higher (see Settings/CICD/General pipelines/Timeout)

## Reviewer's checklist:
 * [ ] Any issues marked for closing are addressed
 * [ ] There is a test suite reasonably covering new functionality or modifications
 * [ ] Function naming, parameters, return values, types, etc., are consistent and according to `CONTRIBUTION.md`
 * [ ] This feature/change has adequate documentation added
 * [ ] No obvious mistakes in the code