[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | Avoid tests killing entire process groups (!1463)

Fri Aug 27 17:48:24 CEST 2021

Alexander Sosedkin commented on a discussion on tests/tls13/prf-early.c: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/merge_requests/1463#note_663059996

>  {
>  	int status = 0;
>
> -	kill(child, SIGTERM);
> -	wait(&status);
> +	if (child) {

That'd be the case when all terminate-instead-of-exits-in-children scenarios are caught, they aren't. I've tried to catch the most common ones (`terminate() directly inside `client()` when `client()` is called in the child process), but in the process of doing that I've also noted at least one case where child is the server and at least one case where they swap roles and both called the same function calling terminate. Thus the generic safeguard.

What would be the benefits of having an assert here?