[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | psk_ke_modes_recv_params() wrongly sets HSK_PSK_KE_MODE_INVALID (#1303)
Read-only notification of GnuTLS library development activities
gnutls-devel at lists.gnutls.org
Wed Dec 15 16:17:10 CET 2021
Tim Kosse created an issue: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/issues/1303
## Description of problem:
If the preferred side (as per session->internals.priorities->server_precedence) only supports one algorithm and it is not the first in the other side's list of algorithms, psk_ke_modes_recv_params wrongly sets session->internals.hsk_flags to HSK_PSK_KE_MODE_INVALID.
Observed in GnuTLS 3.7.2 compiled from the official source tarball without any special configure arguments.
The issue was discovered while analyzing https://forum.filezilla-project.org/viewtopic.php?t=54333
## How to reproduce:
You can easily reproduce this issue:
* Applying the attached [reproducer.diff](/uploads/e553e1da4aacce21eccca71f898fbe3f/reproducer.diff), which just swaps the algorithms in the psk_key_exchange_modes extension Client Hello.
* Run `gnutls-serv -d9999`
* Connect to it with `gnutls-cli 127.0.0.1 -p 5556`
* In the output of gnutls-serv look for `|<3>| ASSERT: psk_ke_modes.c[psk_ke_modes_recv_params]:192` which is printed when HSK_PSK_KE_MODE_INVALID is set.
In this scenario the following happens in psk_ke_modes.c:
* Line 156 is reached.
* By line 174, the following values are held:
* session->internals.priorities->server_precedence is false
* dhpsk_pos is 0
* psk_pos is MAX_POS
* cli_dhpsk_pos is 1
* cli_psk_pos is 0
* As result, neither mode is set in session->internals.hsk_flags and line 191 is reached.
## Proposed patch:
I have attached a simple fix for the issue in [psk_ke_modes_send_params.diff](/uploads/305bdcc93e5af97051116813e06dfbaa/psk_ke_modes_send_params.diff)
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitLab: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/issues/1303
You're receiving this email because of your account on gitlab.com.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Gnutls-devel