[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | sysrng-linux: re-open /dev/urandom every time (!1396)
Read-only notification of GnuTLS library development activities
gnutls-devel at lists.gnutls.org
Thu Mar 4 11:08:38 CET 2021
Alexander Sosedkin created a merge request: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/merge_requests/1396
Project:Branches: asosedkin/gnutls:oneshot-urandom to gnutls/gnutls:master
Author: Alexander Sosedkin
Prompted by [the following comment](https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/merge_requests/1383#note_521749519) by @dueno:
> I also wonder why we keep the fd open for such a long time in the first
> place. Both OpenSSL and NSS have a similar fallback to /dev/urandom
> if getrandom is not available, but opens the device in one-shot,
> when reseeding is needed (and that's pretty rare).
I thought that could be easier to switch to such one-shot opening
than to resurrect and fix `tests/init_fds.c`.
I'm not exactly sure about all the benefits and drawbacks of going that way though,
so, please, treat that as a suggestion, not a request.
* [x] Commits have `Signed-off-by:` with name/author being identical to the commit author
* [ ] Code modified for feature
* [ ] Test suite updated with functionality tests
* [ ] Test suite updated with negative tests
* [ ] Documentation updated / NEWS entry present (for non-trivial changes)
* [x] CI timeout is 2h or higher (see Settings/CICD/General pipelines/Timeout)
## Reviewer's checklist:
* [ ] Any issues marked for closing are addressed
* [ ] There is a test suite reasonably covering new functionality or modifications
* [ ] Function naming, parameters, return values, types, etc., are consistent and according to `CONTRIBUTION.md`
* [ ] This feature/change has adequate documentation added
* [ ] No obvious mistakes in the code
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitLab: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/merge_requests/1396
You're receiving this email because of your account on gitlab.com.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Gnutls-devel