[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | gnutls_cipher_suite_get_name2: new function which works with TLS 1.3 (!1513)

Sat Jan 15 20:38:16 CET 2022

Michael Catanzaro started a new discussion on lib/algorithms/ciphersuites.c: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/merge_requests/1513#note_811728512

> +/**
> + * gnutls_cipher_suite_get_name2:
> + * @kx_algorithm: is a Key exchange algorithm
> + * @cipher_algorithm: is a cipher algorithm
> + * @mac_algorithm: is a MAC algorithm
> + * @prf_hash_algorithm: is a hash algorithm used in PRF
> + *
> + * This function returns the ciphersuite name when provided with individual
> + * algorithms. The full cipher suite name must be prepended by TLS or SSL
> + * depending of the protocol in use.
> + *
> + * To get a description of the current ciphersuite across versions, it
> + * is recommended to use gnutls_session_get_desc().
> + *
> + * In TLS 1.3, key exchange algorithm is not part of ciphersuite and thus
> + * @kx_algorithm should always be %GNUTLS_KX_UNKNOWN.

Isn't this also true of the MAC algorithm as well? I thought ciphersuite name was just cipher name plus PRF name? Is that wrong? 🤔️