[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | Make gnutls compliant to RFC5280 (!1550)

Mon Mar 14 13:40:31 CET 2022

Zoltán Fridrich started a new discussion on lib/pkix.asn: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/merge_requests/1550#note_873625886

>        printableString           PrintableString (SIZE (1..MAX)),
>        universalString           UniversalString (SIZE (1..MAX)),
>        utf8String              UTF8String (SIZE (1..MAX)),
> -      bmpString               BMPString (SIZE(1..MAX)),
> -      -- IA5String is added here to handle old UID encoded as ia5String --
> -      -- See tests/userid/ for more information.  It shouldn't be here, --
> -      -- so if it causes problems, considering dropping it. --
> -      ia5String               IA5String (SIZE(1..MAX)) }

If we want to drop ia5String from DirectoryString structure in order to be RFC5280 compliant, I think just dropping the ia5String from DirectoryString is the correct and most natural way.
No parsing error will be reported if somebody tries to use ia5String value in DirectoryString as type=DirectoryString is a CHOICE anyway.