[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | Use custom free/realloc for GMP to safely delete temporary secrets (!1554)

Thu Mar 17 07:10:57 CET 2022

Daiki Ueno commented:

One more thing I have to mention is that Guile is [overriding](https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guile.git/commit/?id=00fbdfa7345765168e14438eed0b0b8c64c27ab9) the GMP allocators with a GC-capable ones and I remember there were some issues when the Guile binding of GnuTLS is used. I don't have a concrete idea on how to overcome such uses, but perhaps it might make sense to:
- un-deprecate `gnutls_global_set_mem_functions`
- if the function is called and any of our allocators (`gnutls_malloc` etc) is overridden, treat it as an indication that the application wants to handle allocations by themselves, i.e., we do not install GMP allocators