[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | Fix out-of-bounds memcpy in gnutls_realloc_zero() (!1592)

Wed May 18 13:46:15 CEST 2022

Zoltán Fridrich commented on a discussion: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/merge_requests/1592#note_951061844

I think that with `if (d < old_size / 2)` condition you might never actually free unused memory leading to much higher memory consumption. If you had a program that allocates a huge chunk of memory then it starts shrinking it with realloc but never halving its size, you would never free the unused memory because we don't have the same info as an actual realloc, ie. the actual size of currently allocated memory.