[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | accelerated: avoid symbol export mismatch with _gnutls_x86_cpuid_s (!1642)

Mon Sep 19 10:22:00 CEST 2022

Clemens Lang commented:

I think the double underscore is reserved. See [the latest publicly available draft of the C17 standard][1], section 7.1.3 Reserved identifiers:

> All identifiers that begin with an underscore and either an uppercase letter or another underscore are always reserved for any use, except those identifiers which are lexically identical to keywords.

> All identifiers that begin with an underscore are always reserved for use as identifiers with file scope in both the ordinary and tag name spaces.

> If the program declares or defines an identifier in a context in which it is reserved […], or defines a reserved identifier as a macro name, the behavior is undefined.

You should probably not use double underscores, or even leading single underscores.

[1]: https://web.archive.org/web/20181230041359if_/http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/abq/c17_updated_proposed_fdis.pdf