[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | Reduce sensitive language (!1640)

Tue Sep 20 15:19:15 CEST 2022

Merge request https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/merge_requests/1640 was reviewed by Daiki Ueno

--
  <!-- Get preloaded note discussion-->

Daiki Ueno started a new discussion on configure.ac: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/merge_requests/1640#note_1107259633

>  AC_ARG_WITH([default-blacklist-file],
>    [AS_HELP_STRING([--with-default-blacklist-file=FILE],

These two lines are kept for backward compatibility, right? As this is merely a build flag, we can change it.

--
  <!-- Get preloaded note discussion-->

Daiki Ueno started a new discussion on doc/cha-intro-tls.texi: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/merge_requests/1640#note_1107259745

>  if the false start requirements are not satisfied. That is, on ciphersuites which are not
> -whitelisted for false start or on insufficient key sizes, the handshake
> +trusted for false start or on insufficient key sizes, the handshake

ciphersuites can't be trusted :-) maybe "allowed" or "enabled" might be more appropriate?

--
  <!-- Get preloaded note discussion-->

Daiki Ueno started a new discussion on doc/cha-tokens.texi: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/merge_requests/1640#note_1107259755

> -That store, allows for blacklisting of CAs or certificates, as well as
> +That store, allows for blocklisting of CAs or certificates, as well as

I suggest "distrusting", to be consistent with the p11-kit terminology.

--
  <!-- Get preloaded note discussion-->

Daiki Ueno started a new discussion on lib/auth/srp_kx.c: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/merge_requests/1640#note_1107259768

>  		_gnutls_audit_log(session,
> -				  "SRP group parameters are not in the white list; rejecting.\n");
> +				  "SRP group parameters are not in the allow list; rejecting.\n");

"Unknown SRP group parameters; rejecting.\n" might be better?

--
  <!-- Get preloaded note discussion-->

Daiki Ueno started a new discussion on src/p11tool-options.json: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/merge_requests/1640#note_1107259773

>            "long-option": "mark-distrusted",
> -          "description": "When retrieving objects, it requires the objects to be distrusted (blacklisted)",
> +          "description": "When retrieving objects, it requires the objects to be distrusted (distrusted)",

double "distrusted"

--
  <!-- Get preloaded note discussion-->

Daiki Ueno started a new discussion on configure.ac: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/merge_requests/1640#note_1107259775

Daiki Ueno started a new discussion on configure.ac: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/merge_requests/1640#note_1107259777

>    [AS_HELP_STRING([--with-default-blacklist-file=FILE],
> -    [use the given certificate blacklist file as default])])
> +    [obsolete, use default-blocklist-file instead])])

Alternatively you could simply error out:
```m4
AC_ARG_WITH([default-blacklist-file],
  [AS_HELP_STRING([--with-default-blacklist-file=FILE],
    [obsolete, use --with-default-blocklist-file instead])],
  [AC_MSG_ERROR([use --with-default-blocklist-file instead])])
```