[gnutls-devel] Guile-GnuTLS | I cannot run the Ubuntu22.04-release job in my gnutls-guile fork (#10)

Sun Jan 1 00:54:12 CET 2023

Simon Josefsson commented:

There are two "interesting" parts of the log:

```
$ git checkout $CI_COMMIT_BRANCH
Previous HEAD position was 5fe243a CI: Delete any v17.42.23 tag if present
Switched to branch 'hmac-functions'
Your branch and 'origin/hmac-functions' have diverged,
and have 19 and 13 different commits each, respectively.
  (use "git pull" to merge the remote branch into yours)
```

Maybe you were force pushing to the branch, and GitLab somehow caches the git repository?  I wonder what the appropriate command here would be to just discard any local stuff and checkout the branch that you force-pushed.

Secondly, which is the real failure:

```
do-release-commit-and-tag: invalid version: 17.42.23 (<= 17.42.23)
```

This would only happen if the .prev-version file contained 17.42.23 for some strange reason, maybe you committed/pushed that file as well, maybe when the v17.42.23 tag was also pushed?

Maybe if we figure out what happened in the 'git checkout' command above the .prev-version stuff will just go away.  Maybe a 'git reset --hard' or some similar command is required before the 'git checkout'.  I don't know enough of how GitLab CI/CD deals with git checkouts, it appears to do some caching of the repository that is interfering here.