[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | pkcs11: respect Mozilla's time-based distrust upon issuer lookup (!1725)

Tue Mar 14 11:43:07 CET 2023

Merge request https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/merge_requests/1725 was reviewed by Alexander Sosedkin

--

Alexander Sosedkin started a new discussion on lib/x509/verify.c: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/merge_requests/1725#note_1313015185

>  		    (certificate_list[clist_size - 1],
>  		     certificate_list[clist_size - 1]) != 0) {
>  			clist_size--;

Does that mean that a self-signed CA which would've failed a distrust-after check will just go unchecked?

--

Alexander Sosedkin started a new discussion on lib/x509/verify.c: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/merge_requests/1725#note_1313015192

> +	    && distrust_after <=
> +	    gnutls_x509_crt_get_activation_time(certificate_list
> +						[clist_size - 1])) {

Is distrust-after defined / supposed to be used for non-root cases?

--

Alexander Sosedkin started a new discussion on lib/pkcs11.c: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/merge_requests/1725#note_1313015200

> +		a[0].type = CKA_NSS_SERVER_DISTRUST_AFTER;
> +	} else {
> +		a[0].type = CKA_NSS_EMAIL_DISTRUST_AFTER;

Seems like a strange choice to fall back to EMAIL case if NONE will passed. I suggest either asserting it's not NONE or returning a special value.