[Help-gnutls] Re: CA cert verification

Daniel Stenberg daniel at haxx.se
Wed Aug 24 09:33:13 CEST 2005

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Simon Josefsson wrote:

> jas at latte:~$ gnutls-cli --x509cafile /usr/share/curl/curl-ca-bundle.crt
> gmail.google.com

The key difference turns out to be:

   gnutls_certificate_set_verify_flags(cred,
   			              GNUTLS_VERIFY_ALLOW_X509_V1_CA_CRT);

Which gnutls-cli sets and I didn't. When I use this, I can successfully verify
this server's certificate!

Perhaps the gnutls_certificate_verify_peers2() description in the docs could
hint about the possibility that this is needed?

Another little nit that is slightly related:

gnutls-cli uses the gnutls_certificate_verify_peers() function (alias, not the
*2 version), there are numerous references to this function in the docs but
there's no description for it... I take it the
gnutls_certificate_verify_peers2() is the one we should be using, but it would
probably be suitable if gnutls-cli was switched to use it and if the
references in the docs were updated as well.

--
          -=- Daniel Stenberg -=- http://daniel.haxx.se -=-