[Help-gnutls] Re: How to turn off optimization

Simon Josefsson jas at extundo.com
Sat Mar 5 16:24:09 CET 2005

Scott Bronson <bronson at rinspin.com> writes:

> I want to compile gnutls without any compiler optimizations.  How do I do
> this?
>
> There's no parameter to control optimization in the configuration file
> Deleteing the 3 occurrences of O2 from the config file doesn't work.
> ./configure CFLAGS=-O0 doesn't work (it appends -O2 after -O0).
> CFLAGS=-O0 ./configure doesn't work.
> ./configure --disable-optimization doesn't work.
> ... etc.
>
> I'm out of ideas.  Can anyone give me a hint?  Thanks,

Hello, and thanks for the report.  The configure script added "-O2
-finline-functions" to CFLAGS unconditionally, which seem wrong.  I
have reverted this, so gnutls behave like any autoconf based project.
The NEWS entry reads:

- Optimizations ("-O2 -finline-functions") are not enabled by default,
  instead the standard autoconf defaults are used.  Use `./configure
  CFLAGS="-O2 -finline-functions"' to get the old optimizations.

Try a daily snapshot until 1.2.1 is released.

Thanks,
Simon