[Help-gnutls] GNUTLS ERROR: A TLS fatal alert
daniel at haxx.se
Sat Mar 19 01:08:13 CET 2005
Hi good people.
I've been playing with gnutls a bit, and I'm a bit puzzled. I need some
pointers on how to persue this. I'm a complete GnuTLS newbie.
Lemme give you some initial details:
* Linux i686 2.6.9 kernel
* gnutls 1.0.16 (Debian unstable) as well as 1.2.0
* The example code from "7.3.1 Simple client example with anonymous
How to reproduce:
1. Save the example as 'app.c'.
2. Edit code:
2a Fix the errors in the example (cut off _t from several variable type
2b Add a line that displays what gnutls_check_version() returns.
2c Make it use gnutls.org's test server (use IP address 126.96.36.199)
3. Build the app. Since I did a custom install next to my system version, I
have it installed in /usr/local/lib now:
$ gcc -L/usr/local/lib -lgnutls app.c
4. Verify that we use the latest (1.2.0) lib and not the system one:
$ ldd a.out
libgnutls.so.12 => /usr/local/lib/libgnutls.so.12 (0xb7f69000)
[cut off the rest]
5. Run the app:
*** Handshake failed
GNUTLS ERROR: A TLS fatal alert has been received.
6. What does this mean? What should I do to track it down? Any pointers
or advice are appreciated.
[*] = I find it very hard to find the most up-to-date docs on the site, but I
believe the one at
is the most recent one?
-=- Daniel Stenberg -=- http://daniel.haxx.se -=-
ech`echo xiun|tr nu oc|sed 'sx\([sx]\)\([xoi]\)xo un\2\1 is xg'`ol
More information about the Gnutls-help