[Help-gnutls] Re: Certificate verification failed

Simon Josefsson jas at extundo.com
Tue Nov 1 21:54:36 CET 2005

Daniel Stenberg <daniel at haxx.se> writes:

> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>
>> However, I am skeptical about supporting MD2, and even MD5, by
>> default.  I know GnuTLS certtool print a warning about MD5, but the
>> library does not, and most GnuTLS library users probably doesn't
>> either.
>
> Perhaps if we got some nice pointers in the docs or something us
> library users could also output a warning in similar style.

We have added the section below.  Specific suggestions and comments
are welcome.

Thanks,
Simon

5.1.3 Digital signatures
------------------------

In this section we will provide some information about digital
signatures, how they work, and give the rationale for disabling some of
the algorithms used.

Digital signatures work by using somebody's secret key to sign some
arbitrary data.  Then anybody else could use the public key of that
person to verify the signature.  Since the data may be arbitrary thus
not a suitable input to a cryptographic digital signature algorithm and
also for performance reasons cryptographic hash algorithms are used to
preprocess the input to the signature algorithm. This works as long as
it is difficult enough to generate two different messages with the same
hash algorithm output. In that case the same signature could be used as
a proof for both messages. Nobody wants to sign an innocent message of
donating 1 Euro  to Greenpeace and find out that he donated 1.000.000
Euro  to Bad Inc.

The available digital signature algorithms in GnuTLS are listed below:

`RSA'
     RSA is public key cryptosystem designed by Ronald Rivest, Adi
     Shamir and Leonard Adleman. It can be used with any hash functions.

`DSA'
     DSA is the USA's Digital Signature Standard. It uses only the
     SHA-1 hash algorithm.

The supported cryptographic hash algorithms are:

`MD2'
     MD2 is a cryptographic hash algorithm designed by Ron Rivest. It is
     optimized for 8-bit processors. Outputs 128 bits of data. There
     not known weaknesses of this algorithm but since this algorithm is
     rarely used and not really studied it should not be used today.

`MD5'
     MD5 is a cryptographic hash algorithm designed by Ron Rivest.
     Outputs 128 bits of data. It is considered to be broken.

`SHA-1'
     SHA is a cryptographic hash algorithm designed by NSA. Outputs 160
     bits of data. It is also considered to be broken, though no
     practical attacks have been found.

`RMD160'
     RIPEMD is a cryptographic hash algorithm developed in the
     framework of the EU project RIPE. Outputs 160 bits of data.

For a hash algorithm to be called cryptographic the following three
requirements must hold
  1. Preimage resistance. That means the algorithm must be one way and
     given the output of the hash function H(x), it is impossible to
     calculate x.

  2. 2nd preimage resistance. That means that given a pair x,y with
     y=H(x) it is impossible to calculate an x' such that y=H(x').

  3. Collision resistance. That means that it is impossible to
     calculate random x and x' such H(x')=H(x).

The last two requirements in the list are the most important in digital
signatures. These protect against somebody who would like to generate
two messages with the same hash output. When an algorithm is considered
broken usually it means that the Collision resistance of the algorithm
is less than brute force. Using the birthday paradox the brute force
attack takes 2^hash size \over 2operations. Today colliding
certificates using the MD5 hash algorithm have been generated as shown
in [WEGER] (*Note WEGER: Bibliography.)  .

5.1.3.1 Trading security for interoperability

If you connect to a server and use GnuTLS' functions to verify the
certificate chain, and get a *note GNUTLS_CERT_INSECURE_ALGORITHM::
validation error (*note Verifying X.509 certificate paths::), it means
that somewhere in the certificate chain there is a certificate signed
using `RSA-MD2' or `RSA-MD5'.  These two digital signature algorithms
are considered broken, so GnuTLS fail when attempting to verify the
certificate.  In some situations, it may be useful to be able to verify
the certificate chain anyway, assuming an attacker did not utilize the
fact that these signatures algorithms are broken.  This section will
give help on how to achieve that.

First, it is important to know that you do not have to enable any of
the flags discussed here to be able to use trusted root CA certificates
signed using `RSA-MD2' or `RSA-MD5'.  The only attack today is that it
is possible to generate certificates with colliding signatures; you
cannot forge signatures.

If you are using *note gnutls_certificate_verify_peers2:: to verify the
certificate chain, you can call *note
gnutls_certificate_set_verify_flags:: with the
`GNUTLS_VERIFY_ALLOW_SIGN_RSA_MD2' or
`GNUTLS_VERIFY_ALLOW_SIGN_RSA_MD5' flag, as in:

       gnutls_certificate_set_verify_flags (x509cred,
                                            GNUTLS_VERIFY_ALLOW_SIGN_RSA_MD5);

This will tell the verifier algorithm to enable `RSA-MD5' when
verifying the certificates.

If you are using *note gnutls_x509_crt_verify:: or *note
gnutls_x509_crt_list_verify::, you can pass the
`GNUTLS_VERIFY_ALLOW_SIGN_RSA_MD5' parameter directly in the `flags'
parameter.

If you are using these flags, it may also be a good idea to warn the
user when verification failure occur for this reason.  The simplest is
to not use the flags by default, and only fall back to using them after
warning the user.  If you wish to inspect the certificate chain
yourself, you can use *note gnutls_certificate_get_peers:: to extract
the raw server's certificate chain, then use *note
gnutls_x509_crt_import:: to parse each of the certificates, and then
use *note gnutls_x509_crt_get_signature_algorithm:: to find out the
signing algorithm used for each certificate.  If any of the
intermediary certificates are using `GNUTLS_SIGN_RSA_MD2' or
`GNUTLS_SIGN_RSA_MD5', you could present a warning.