[Help-gnutls] Re: statically linked libgnutls doesn't pull in zlib

Matthias Urlichs smurf at smurf.noris.de
Fri Aug 18 11:28:06 CEST 2006

Hi,

Simon Josefsson:
> Hi!  Looking at the libgnutls.a installed on my system, it doesn't
> have libz symbols either:

That's normal behavior.

> jas at mocca:~/src/gnutls$ nm -B ~/lib/libgnutls.a |grep deflate
>          U deflate
>          U deflateEnd
>          U deflateInit2_
> jas at mocca:~/src/gnutls$
>
> Isn't the normal procedure that, if you use static linking, you have
> to link directly to a library, and all its dependencies?

Correct.

> I think that if you use libtool to link your static application, it
> should have taken care of this.

In fact, the .la file (which libtool generates if you use it to build a
static library) lists those dependent libraries. (Shared libraries note
their dependencies in a separate section, but the .a file format has no
backwards-compatible way to do that.)

Matthias Urlichs   |   {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de   |  smurf at smurf.noris.de
 - -
When you need towns, they are very far apart.
					-- John Steinbeck