[Help-gnutls] Re: Application Data Spanning Mulitple TLS Records

Rich Fought whatever at fsrz.net
Fri Jan 27 17:59:10 CET 2006

Hello Simon,

I apologize, my question was actually directed more at the TLS
specification itself rather than GnuTLS.

I did some research and answered my own question.  The gist of the
question was: since application
data can be fragmented across multiple TLS records, is there any way to
tell from the TLS protocol
what records go together to form a single application-level message,
*without actually looking at the
application data*.

The answer to this question appears to be "no." From the TLS 1.0 RFC:

       struct {
           ContentType type;
           ProtocolVersion version;
           uint16 length;
           opaque fragment[TLSPlaintext.length];
       } TLSPlaintext;

   fragment
       The application data. This data is transparent and treated as an
       independent block to be dealt with by the higher level protocol
       specified by the type field.

So one must analyze the application data inside the records to determine
if a record contains a
single application-level message or a portion of a fragmented
application-level message.

I was *hoping* that the TLS protocol might have in indication of which
records go together to
form a single application-level message, much like TCP/IP.  It appears
that it does not; as such
the thought of a GnuTLS API change is moot.

Regards,
Rich