[Help-gnutls] Re: gnutls_handshake() is slow and is a big lock

Eric Leblond regit at inl.fr
Sat Jul 29 14:34:22 CEST 2006

Le samedi 29 juillet 2006 à 14:23 +0200, Simon Josefsson a écrit :
> Eric Leblond <regit at inl.fr> writes:
>
> >> I haven't tried it, but I think it should work.
> >
> > No sadly, it seems there's a lot in gcrypt and all gets serialized.
>
> Ouch.  Which lock is this?

We do not had the time to point it but on our our quadri processors test
platform (thanks to our partner for giving acces to it ;-)) with a
thread per gnutls_handshake we clearly manage to see that handshakes
finish at regular interval. This indicates that there is now use of
multithreading at all. Thus there is a lock.

> I agree that locks in libgcrypt are bad,
> we should try to remove them, or provide a way to replace libgcrypt
> with thread-safer and lock-free alternatives (of which there are
> several).

Yes it is clearly on important point.