[Help-gnutls] Re: Failure to import an OpenPGP private key

Simon Josefsson jas at extundo.com
Thu Oct 26 20:44:26 CEST 2006

ludovic.courtes at laas.fr (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Hi,
>
> I tried importing the ASCII-armored OpenPGP secret key available under
> `src/openpgp/sec.asc' as follows:
>
>   err = gnutls_openpgp_privkey_import (privkey, &key_content,
> 				       GNUTLS_OPENPGP_FMT_BASE64,
> 				       "" /* empty passphrase */,
> 				       0 /* flags? */);
>
> It systematically returns `GNUTLS_E_OPENPGP_GETKEY_FAILED'.  This is
> actually the exact same problem that I reported a while back [0].  Could
> you please comment on this?

Hi Ludovic, I'm sorry for the slow response.

It is probably a bug in OpenCDK.  Your best bet is to debug this
further yourself, like using gdb to find where the error is triggered,
and possibly try to guess why it happens and how to fix it.

I don't think it has anything to do with remote servers, which you
suggested in your last post -- there is no such functionality in
GnuTLS/OpenCDK as far as I know.

OpenCDK, and generally the OpenPGP support in GnuTLS, is not well
tested or maintained, and while I have interest in seeing it work, I
don't have the time or resources to make that happen right now.
Paypal contributions would help.. ;-)

We could also consider if OpenCDK is the best option here, or whether
it is possible to somehow use GnuPG instead.  Using gpg might have
other good side effects, such as nice smart card integration, and
better web-of-trust management.  This approach might mean more work
initially, though.