[Help-gnutls] Re: GnuTLS 1.5.1 for Windows

Simon Josefsson jas at extundo.com
Fri Sep 22 14:56:00 CEST 2006

Ralf Angeli <angeli at caeruleus.net> writes:

>> I'm interested in feedback about the package, since it is quite
>> experimental.  Are you able to install it?
>
> Yes.

For the record, which Windows version and service packs are you using?

>> Does it work?
>
> I'm not sure.  I get the following when executing the first line in
> cmd.exe.  The output appears till the line starting with "220".  After
> that it does nothing.  When typing `C-c' for aborting the operation
> the last lines (starting with "***") appear.
>
> C:\foo>gnutls-cli --print-cert --port 25 --starttls smtp.web.de
> Resolving 'smtp.web.de'...
> Connecting to '217.72.192.157:25'...
>
> - Simple Client Mode:
>
> 220 smtp06.web.de ESMTP WEB.DE V4.107#114 Thu, 21 Sep 2006 22:08:51 +0200
> *** Starting TLS handshake
> *** Fatal error: A record packet with illegal version was received.
> *** Handshake has failed
> ^C

The server is waiting for you to do something: you'll need to first
type:

STARTTLS

and wait for the server ACK that and then send a EOF to gnutls-cli
that tells it to start negotiate TLS.  To send an EOF, I think you
press C-z RET or possibly C-d RET.

However, gnutls-cli uses select() and there is a problem with select()
on Windows that it doesn't support file descriptors.  GnuTLS 1.5.1 has
a work-around for this, but it may be unreliable.

> I am not able to send mail using smtpmail.el in Gnus either.  I am not
> sure however if this is the fault of GnuTLS.  The only output after
> aborting the operation (which will hang as well) I can see in the SMTP
> trace buffer (`smtpmail-debug-info' set to t) is this:
>
> 220 smtp.1und1.de (mrelayeu4) Welcome to Nemesis ESMTP server^M
> EHLO NEUTRINO^M
> QUIT^M

Right, I haven't succeeded in doing that either, and there may be
Emacs bugs here: process-send-eof doesn't seem to work the same way as
on Linux.

Let's focus on getting gnutls-cli to work in a terminal first.