[Help-gnutls] Re: SMTP TLS & Thunderbird

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Sat Feb 10 18:07:54 CET 2007

Simon Josefsson wrote:
[...]
> Many programs refuse to work if the server doesn't have a X.509
> certificate, so yes, I'm afraid you'll have to add that to your
> server, or modify a lot of clients.

It's all working now, thanks. Although I will admit that setting all the code
up was not pretty --- the documentation's very hazy on what the various
functions return if something goes wrong (such as not being able to read the
keyfiles), and I've found that in order to make it fall back on anonymous
authentication if the keys don't work I have to call gnutls_kx_set_priority(),
which surprises me as the documentation swears blind that it's ignored on servers.

Incidentally, my various early blundering attempts managed to get a number of
things wrong, which caused gnutls-cli to fall over good and hard. Is this
important?

--
┌── dg@cowlark.com ─── http://www.cowlark.com ───────────────────
│ "I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my