[Help-gnutls] Re: Getting keys for my own crtypto functions (opencdk)

Ludovic Courtès ludovic.courtes at laas.fr
Tue Jan 9 15:51:18 CET 2007

Hi,

Simon Josefsson <simon at josefsson.org> writes:

> PS.  Maybe you are aware of it, but did you look at GPGME?  It has
> more PGP stuff, and written in a more GnuPG compatible way.  I know it
> has some limitations though.  I'd wish that GnuTLS could use it
> instead of OpenCDK, but right now it doesn't...

I had this feeling, at first, but for some purposes GPGME turns out to
be too high-level, and too much GPG-oriented.  For instance, while
gnutls-extra currently provides first-class public/private and keyring
objects, GPGME doesn't provide such a thing.  Instead, GPGME expects any
key that is to be handled to be imported in the per-user GPG keyring.

That can be quite inconvenient for applications that use keys
meaningless to the user (as a person), or that do not want keys to be
stored on the file system just because they were imported once for
verification purposes.

Thanks,
Ludovic.