[Help-gnutls] Re: virtual hosting with gnutls-serv?

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Tue Mar 27 16:18:48 CEST 2007

Lasse Kliemann <lasse-private-2007 at plastictree.net> writes:

> Greetings,
>
> RFC 4346 (and 4366) allows virtual hosting with HTTPS via the extension
> described in Section 3.1. Is there any way to use this feature with
> gnutls-serv, i.e., serving multiple hosts on one IP address with gnutls-serv?
>
> If not yet, is there any such feature planned? Or could you recommend an
> alternative web server which does have this feature implemented already? I
> understand that there exists mod_gnutls for Apache, but on its homepage there
> is a big fat warning not to use it for production.

Hi!  As you probably noticed, gnutls-serv is not a typical web server,
but it does "support" server_name: if the client provides a server
name indication, it will be displayed on the generated HTTP output.
The limitation with gnutls-serv is that its HTTP output is rather
fixed, it can't show HTML from files.

If you want to hack on gnutls-serv, you could build a simple web
server out of it, but it really wasn't designed for that kind of use
and I wouldn't recommend this except as a learning experiment.

I know that Nikos worked on Hydra:

http://hydra.hellug.gr/

Hydra support virtual hosting, however Hydra is not actively
maintained any more.

Getting mod_gnutls running would be a really cool thing, so maybe
you'd like to tinker with it and see if it works.  It may be easier to
get it to work than to get Hydra to work... at least you'll be
building on the stability of the rest of Apache.

If you hurry, you could submit a Google Summer of Code project to work
on mod_gnutls, I'll mentor it! :) (The GSOC deadline was extended
until today.)

Working on mod_gnutls is something I've wanted to do for some time,
but have had paying work that has had priority.