[Help-gnutls] GnuTLS vs OpenSSL vs NSS

Daniel Stenberg daniel at haxx.se
Thu May 3 13:16:01 CEST 2007

On Thu, 3 May 2007, Simon Josefsson wrote:

> I've created some tables with a comparison between common TLS
> implementations.  I'm running short of ideas on things to compare.  Any
> ideas or suggestions?  The URL is:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/gnutls/comparison.html
>
> What do you think?

I love it! The fact that libcurl supports all three of these also makes it a
great comparison table for me to point out to libcurl users.

A few ideas:

- Make the Yes/No boxes use different colors (perhaps green/red) to make it
   easier to detect the differences when browsing casually.

- The multi-threaded situation. With NSS they say no mutex callbacks are
   necessary, with GnuTLS you need to set them in an _underlying_ crypto
   library while in OpenSSL you use the OpenSSL API to set them.

- The random seed situation. I don't know about the NSS in this aspect, but
   again with GnuTLS you need to set them in an _underlying_ crypto library
   while in OpenSSL you use the OpenSSL API.

These two latter points are stuff I've planned to discuss with you to fix in a
future GnuTLS but I've not yet had the time.