[Help-gnutls] Re: duplicate symbols complaint on Mac OS X 10.5.2

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Thu Apr 10 14:48:35 CEST 2008

Hi,

Simon Josefsson <simon at josefsson.org> writes:

> ludo at gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

>> Simon Josefsson <simon at josefsson.org> writes:
>>
>>> I'm still not sure whether this is a guile or gnutls problem.  Before
>>> making changes in gnutls to override gnulib's gnu99 default, or adding
>>> thinks like -fgnu89-inline, I want to understand the problem better.
>>> Adding workarounds like that is easy to do, but years later the
>>> workaround often start to cause new problems and it will be difficult to
>>> know what to do.  (Compare the -D_REENTRANT flag..)

BTW, `-fgnu89-inline' will always be needed for the GnuTLS Guile code
anyway, because even if we fix it in Guile and GMP, there will always be
people trying to compile GnuTLS with a version of Guile and/or GMP that
doesn't have the fix.

> Or ask Apple to fix their compiler.  Isn't it possible to build gcc on
> mac os x manually?  Then it wouldn't have this problem, I guess.

I suppose there won't be any problem when they ship their OS with GCC
4.3 but in the meantime, we either have to implement the above fix or to
impede our software's portability as a sign of disagreement with Apple's
silliness.  I guess it's easier to stick to the former.  ;-)

(Of course, another option is to not build GnuTLS in C99 mode...)

Thanks,
Ludovic.