[Help-gnutls] Re: duplicate symbols complaint on Mac OS X 10.5.2

David Reiser dbreiser at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 14:53:59 CEST 2008

On Apr 10, 2008, at 4:35 AM, Simon Josefsson wrote:

> ludo at gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
>> [...]

>> /* Apple's gcc build >5400 (since Xcode 3.0) doesn't support GNU
>> inline in C99 mode */
>>  #if __APPLE_CC__ > 5400 && !defined(C99_INLINE_SEMANTICS) &&
>> __STDC_VERSION__ >= 199901L
>>  #define C99_INLINE_SEMANTICS 1
>>  #endif
>>
>> So I suppose GMP and Guile just have to go ahead and duplicate this?
>
> Or ask Apple to fix their compiler.  Isn't it possible to build gcc on
> mac os x manually?  Then it wouldn't have this problem, I guess.

Considering that Apple stayed with gcc 4.0.1 when system 10.5 was
released last fall, I'm not so sure they'll respond to such requests,
and we'll certainly never know until they release a new xcode whether
or not they listened.

fink has gcc 4.3 (and 4.2) available, but they takes so long to
compile, and have potential compatibility problems with older
packages, that requiring one of them would be an unusual solution. The
main reason the newer compilers are available is that apple didn't
include a fortran compiler with their gcc, so some of the scientific
packages have to use something other than apple's gcc.

I'll try the guile patch. It will take at least a few days for me to
get to it.

Thanks for the continued help.

Dave
--