[Help-gnutls] GNUTLS ERROR: A TLS packet with unexpected length was received.

John Brooks aspecialj at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 12:55:21 CEST 2008

Drawing on my knowledge of unrealircd for this (which is somewhat outdated,
but I believe still correct), my guess is that you're hitting the throttling
limit of the ircd. After a certain number of connections from an IP in a
certain amount of time, it starts rejecting new ones - and I wouldn't be
suprised if it rejects their handshakes as well (save resources, DDoS
prevention). I believe this is configurable - check the config and try
connecting repeatedly without SSL to see what it says.

Another possibility is that the IP is Z-Lined; unrealircd will send an ERROR
in plaintext even if you attempt to connect with SSL (which will show up as
exactly that error). Again, to prevent excess resource usage and help stop
DDoS.

Either way, i'm inclined to think that this is one of those two slightly
misguided features of unrealircd, rather than a SSL issue. Inspircd is
better anyway :P

- John Brooks