[Help-gnutls] Re: compilation issues of gnutls-1.4.1 in HPUX

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Tue Mar 11 16:56:49 CET 2008

"Haidar Habib" <h.habib at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Following errors occurred when I compiled gnutls-1.4.1. Befor this I
> successfully built libgcrypt-1.2.3 and libgcrypt-1.2.3.
> Pls give some suggestions in this regard.
>
> Error 359: "serv.c", line 646 # The expression on the left side of the
> '->' (arrow member access operator) must be a pointer to completed
> struct object type; the type of the left side is 'const
> sockaddr_storage *' and 'struct sockaddr_storage' has not been defined
> yet.
>       switch (addr->ss_family)
>               ^^^^
> Error 628: "serv.c", line 673 # "sockaddr_storage#5 client_address"
> ["serv.c", line 673] cannot be defined to have an incomplete type.
>       struct sockaddr_storage client_address;
>                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Warning 942: "serv.c", line 916 # Types 'int *' and 'fd_set *' are not
> assignment-compatible.
>           n = select (n + 1, &rd, &wr, NULL, NULL);
>                              ^
> Warning 942: "serv.c", line 916 # Types 'int *' and 'fd_set *' are not
> assignment-compatible.
>           n = select (n + 1, &rd, &wr, NULL, NULL);
>                                   ^
> Error 244: "serv.c", line 932 # sizeof may not be applied to an
> undefined struct.
>               calen = sizeof (client_address);

It seems your platform doesn't implement sockaddr_storage properly.
According to:

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/basedefs/sys/socket.h.html

socket.h shall declare the sockaddr_storage structure, and it shall
contain the ss_family member.

Maybe you could upgrade the HP-UX version?

It looks rather complicated to work around this problem, and may involve
not using getaddrinfo at all.  Someone familiar with getaddrinfo and
HP-UX needs to investigate this problem further.  It may be possible to
work around this problem by adding a gnulib module, but HP-UX knowledge
is needed.