[Help-gnutls] Encrypted private keys

Alex Samad alex at samad.com.au
Thu May 29 06:35:15 CEST 2008

Hi

I am a debian user and use gnutls library indirectly, previously I used
openssl, but debian has made a move over to gnutls.

Previously with openssl I had setup ldapsearch to use x509 certs to identify
myself, I encrypted my private certs with a password. Since the move to
gnutls I have been unable to use encrypted private keys.

I thought maybe it was a config difference between gnutls and openssl, but
with all the reading I have done of certtool documentation I can't find any
place to setup a encrypted private key.

I have raised a bug report against the maintainers of ldap-utils, this is
the package that has ldapsearch ( and other ldap-commands), but they are a
bit low on resources now.

So I thought I would come to the list and find out

1) is it true that the libraries can't handle encrypted private keys
2) If not how do you handle encrypted private keys
3) if it is true, what do other users do to protect their private keys ?

Thanks
Alex