[Help-gnutls] Alternate random device for certtool

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu Nov 27 19:49:11 CET 2008

On Thu 2008-11-27 13:02:05 -0500, Teran McKinney wrote:

> I ssh into the systems that I would need to do this on, and most are
> headless. I noticed how easy it was to generate data for /dev/random
> by moving the mouse, but without it generating entropy is much more
> difficult.

Agreed!  Sometimes running "find / >/dev/null" thrashes the disks
enough to give a bit of randomness.  But it would be nice if there was
a clear place that documents ways to feed the entropy pool on headless
machines.

> PS: I have checked this with two different distributions, though one
> is a fork of the other (however it is quite different and completely
> rebuilt). I have the same effect on both.

What distros are you testing this on, specifically?

I suspect that Simon's suggestion about gcrypt versions is on the
right track.  I'm using 1.4.1-1 on debian lenny.

      --dkg