[Help-gnutls] Using LGPLv3+ license for libgnutls?

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Tue Sep 9 14:53:05 CEST 2008

Hi Simon,

Simon Josefsson wrote:
> RMS asked if there are is reason GnuTLS should remain LGPLv2.1+ instead
> of using LGPLv3+.
>
> The reasons I'm familiar with includes lynx under GPLv2-only.  Gnucash
> is also said to contain GPLv2-only code.
>
> Are there other reasons not to use LGPLv3+?

There are a number of applications out there that are GPLv2-only,
including the project I work on (http://www.bongo-project.org/). OpenSSL
isn't available for those who can't relicense their projects, so not
having GnuTLS be available would be a big blow.

> I recall hearing about policies that mandate LGPLv2.1+ in some projects,
> for example the core libraries in GNOME, but I cannot find any reference
> to this out there.  Anyone?

IIRC, Gtk+ hackers have talked about moving to LGPLv3, but nothing has
actually been agreed.

Cheers,

Alex.