[Help-gnutls] Re: Using LGPLv3+ license for libgnutls?

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Tue Sep 9 17:26:10 CEST 2008

Simon Josefsson wrote:
> Thanks for the information.  If you know of more GPLv2-only projects
> that use GnuTLS, that would be useful to know.
>
> Btw, Bongo looks relatively new, could you share any insight why you
> chose a GPLv2-only license?  It looks bound to create problems sooner or
> later.

It's not our choice, I'm afraid - we're a fork of the Hula Project, so
Novell has a large amount of copyright interest in the code, and it's
politically difficult to change that now (as they sold the rights to
that business to a proprietary software company).

Our current project guidance is that contributions to Bongo are GPLv2+,
and parts of Bongo are now fully under that license, but it will take
time (a couple of years probably) before we've reached the stage where
no old code is being used.

I suspect there will probably be other projects in the same situation.

>> IIRC, Gtk+ hackers have talked about moving to LGPLv3, but nothing has
>> actually been agreed.
>>

> Ok.  So maybe they actually don't have a LGPLv2.1+ policy.

Well, I believe the policy is to be LGPL rather than GPL, but I don't
think that the version discussion has actually happened yet.

Thanks,

Alex.