[Help-gnutls] Odd issue with gnu-tls 2.6.4 running as a subprocess of emacs-23 on Windows XP

Iver Odin Kvello iverodin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 01:06:34 CET 2009

Hi, I'm trying to connect to google talk on windows using the emacs
jabber client (latest version, on a CVS emacs 23) and gnutls-cli 2.6.4
(precompiled binaries), and I'm basically experiencing the same issue
described in

     http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.jabber.general/842

 (which references a possibly related issue with imap.el on a similar
configuration:
    http://www.archivum.info/gnu.emacs.help/2008-04/msg00372.html)

 - emacs waits indefinitely when some data ought to be received. As
the article states, it *looks like* some sort of problem with output
buffering in gnutls, but as I understand gnutsl-cli already does turn
off buffering on stdout, which should rule out that explanation.

I've tested with versions 2.4.2 and 2.2.5 also; they have the same issue.

It is interesting that doing "jabber-whitespace-ping-start" seems to
fix the issue (at least most of the time - some times the connection
drops). This just sends whitespace over the channel repeatedly, which
I guess might indicate that this has something to do with stdin or
something. After building gnu-tsl locally (with msys and mingw), I
edited cli.c to ensure stdin also was unbuffered; but there was no
change.

I'm not sure how to proceed with this - any clues?

Regards,
Iver Odin Kvello