[Help-gnutls] Re: Key usage violation in certificate

Roland Winkler Roland.Winkler at physik.uni-erlangen.de
Sat May 30 18:51:56 CEST 2009

Hi,

I've been trying to use gnutls-cli with the GNU emacs smtpmail package.
After some fiddling I got to the point that my sessions looks like
the following:

Process SMTP finished
220 foo.bar.com ESMTP Postfix
EHLO baz.bar.com
250-foo.bar.com
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 10240000
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS
250 8BITMIME
STARTTLS
220 Ready to start TLS
*** Starting TLS handshake
*** Fatal error: Key usage violation in certificate has been detected.
*** Handshake has failed
EHLO baz.bar.com
QUIT

I couldn't get any further. -- I know that the SMTP server I am
trying to reach works fine with other mail clients. So I replaced
gnutls-cli (GnuTLS 2.4.1) with starttls (0.10), and this works fine,
too. Is some known problem of gnutls responsible for this?

Thanks,

Roland