[Help-gnutls] Re: Key usage violation in certificate

Roland Winkler Roland.Winkler at physik.uni-erlangen.de
Sat May 30 21:03:46 CEST 2009

On Sat May 30 2009 Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
> > I couldn't get any further. -- I know that the SMTP server I am
> > trying to reach works fine with other mail clients. So I replaced
> > gnutls-cli (GnuTLS 2.4.1) with starttls (0.10), and this works fine,
> > too. Is some known problem of gnutls responsible for this?
>
> No. Please check the certificate with certtool -i.

I am sorry for my ignorance. Is this something I can do locally, or
is this a command that I need to run on the remote SMTP server I am
trying to contact? If I can run this command locally, how do I
specify the remote server? Is there anything else I can do locally?
(I've made gnutls-cli more verbose and it gave me a lot of
information, though in the end nothing appeared useful to me to
resolve this problem.)

Though I can login on the SMTP server, I am not sure I found the
right certificate, and this file is not readable for ordinary users.

Thanks,

Roland