FIPS Certification

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Thu Oct 8 20:09:47 CEST 2009

"Hoyt, David" <hoyt6 at llnl.gov> writes:

> Is or will there be an effort to become FIPS certified? If so, is
> there a schedule laid out for the process? Is there a webpage I can
> look at to keep myself up-to-date on the certification process?

All the crypto in GnuTLS normally happens in libgcrypt, and I recall
seeing libgcrypt mentioned on the list of projects underway of becoming
FIPS-certified some time ago.  Also, it is possible to replace the
crypto calls to your own library on the fly, see:

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnutls/reference/gnutls-crypto.html

There may be more involved, but this is as much as I am aware of.

I am certainly interested in seeing GnuTLS FIPS-certified, but if
anything more than FIPS-certifying libgcrypt is required, that will
require funding from someone.

Thanks,